What is Your Daily Fresh Face Routine?
Unfortunately, when it comes to facial skin products, I won’t be the blogger that will be able to provide you with a lot of recommendations because I do have sensitive skin. In the past I have tried to be all fancy and spend hundreds of dollars on different skin regimens, only for my skin to peel off or flare up with acne the next day (Thankfully Sephora has a no hassle return policy). Through trial and error I have been able to find a few products that do work for me. Don’t tell anyone I told you this, I do have a bad habit of falling asleep with my makeup on when I am really tired. Although I am still working my 9 to 5 job, I am grateful that I am able to work from home 2-3 days out the week. On the days I do work from home I don’t wear any makeup so this allows my pores to breathe. Thank goodness!
Next to a freshly brewed cup of coffee, a freshly cleansed face is 2nd place to me for the best wake me up. As always, we can read articles on what products a woman should use on her face in her 20s, 30s, and 40s, but I firmly believe that you have to find out what works best for your skin (genetics, exposure to sun, and other lifestyle choices are also huge factors). My grandmother on my father’s side passed away when she was 91. If I posted a pic of just her hands alone, you would guess she was in her 40s. If it is true that we will be reflections of our parents when we get older, then I know that skin is the least of my worries. My mother also has beautiful skin at 69 (she is the warm towel face cleanser person) and so did her mother. So at 36, what does my daily fresh face routine look like now? Let me break it down for you (Looking at the picture above, it won’t take long).
Golden Girl Fresh Face Routine:
- Neutrogena Makeup Remover Wipes -(Not Pictured) On the days I wear makeup, I like to use these wipes as the first step to getting my makeup off. (Yes I know I can use regular soap, but I just don’t like all that residue in my hands, don’t judge me)
- Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser- After I have finished with the remover wipes, I use this Aveeno cleanser. I prefer foam over cream cleansers just because I feel like it lathers better and washes off more easily. I use this product for when I wake up and before I go to bed. This cleanser is light, gentle and it does the main thing, not break my face out.
- Lancôme Absolue Premium Night Cream– Finally, once my face is freshly cleansed, I apply this cream to my face. I know I don’t want a tight dry face when I go to bed, so I use this cream because it is smooth, light, and doesn’t break my face out in the morning (Are you noticing a pattern yet?).
- Origins Drink Up 10 Minute Mask– I don’t use this product daily, but I wanted to include it because I do use it at least once or twice a week depending on how my skin feels. It has been an extremely hot summer and I do run outdoors often, so this mask definitely helps rejuvenate my skin when it feels a bit dehydrated.
- CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion AM– (Not Pictured) After I have washed my face with the Aveeno foam cleanser, this is the lotion I use for the daytime. I like the CeraVe products in general because they cater to the sensitive skin market. This product is non-comedogenic, non-irritating, and it also packed with SPF 30 to protect against them rays.
So there you have it! Is that a normal list for people? Oh, I forgot mention my beloved Clarisonic! This is also a tool that I don’t use daily, but at least once a week. Ok, I’m done for real this time. There are thousands of products that you can choose from to create your own fresh face routine, this is just what works for me (for now). Whether your fresh face routine involves multiple products, or just the warm towel and soap, just make sure you at least get the cold out your eye and the dried up drool from your mouth.
Are you a Trendsetter or Trendgetter?
One of the best fashion quotes goes, “Fashion is disposable yet repeats itself, so just don’t throw away anything” – Tom Ford. Some of you can probably relate to hearing your mother at one point saying, “We used to wear that when I was in school”. So it is true that fashion trends do repeat themselves. How would I describe my personal style? I like to call it casual chic. I admire the style of Blake Lively because her style is effortless, timeless, and yet still chic. I wouldn’t say that I am a person that keeps up with the trends when it comes to actual purchases, but I am aware of what people are wearing. As I mentioned before, I worked for a major retailer for 4 years. During my time working there I became so spoiled with getting 40-60% off regular and designer items, when I look at a pair of $600 shoes now, I just die a little in the inside. Don’t get me wrong, when Saks Fifth Avenue, NET-A-PORTER, or FarFetch has their designer sale, I am racking up. My wardrobe consists of a “high-low” closet and that is normally how my outfits are put together. Denim jeans and shoes are definitely the two items I will splurge on. A typical Sunday could look like: A white v-neck t-shirt from Target, Rag & Bone denim jeans, and a pair of Birkenstock (I’m all about comfort on Sundays)
Owning your personal style is all about self-confidence. Whatever you feel comfortable wearing, own it, flaunt it, and stand out. I appreciate the fashion designers that do create quality affordable apparel for the population that may cannot afford or want to spend hundreds of dollars just to look stylish or “on trend”. I enjoy looking at the trendsetters of style who embrace his or her individuality. I also enjoy looking on Instagram of people wearing all the latest trends from NYFW, PFW, and all the other street style posts. Whether you are a trendsetter or a trendgetter, there is no right or wrong. Your style is still your own. Even if the clothes and shoes you have right now are not in season, remember, don’t throw them away just yet because fashion always repeats itself.
Top 10 Must Haves for a Makeup Newbie!
I would say it started around 2000-2001 that my love for cosmetics began. A co-worker that I met (who turned into a dear friend of mine) first introduced me to world of makeup. Prior to 2000, I was a bare face, Carmex wearing young woman. I then graduated to foundation and mascara, my faves were MAC SPF 15 Matchmaster and Maybelline Great Lash Mascara. I still love a bare face, and I appreciate women who also embrace their natural beauty, but I enjoy playing with makeup. So we fast forward to present, the items above are my favorite brands of products and what I think are the must haves for your starter kit if you are considering diving into the world of makeup. Of course there are primers, moisturizers, and tints you can use before you apply your makeup, but this post is after you have done your pre application routine. So here is the break down of the Top 10 products I love and use, and why you should love them too! (From Top Left to Bottom)
- Face: Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24H with SPF 15 As I stated before, MAC used to be my foundation, but I noticed my complexion looked so red. I was told I have red undertones, and on top of that, I have oily skin. I found that this liquid foundation does blend well my natural complexion and they have a broad selection to match any skin tone.
- Face: Lancome Translucence Pressed Powder For those who do not like liquid foundation because it may feel too heavy on your skin, I keep a pressed powder handy. It helps me pat the shine away when that T zone starts getting oily.
- Face: DERMABLEND Loose Setting Powder After I have my face completed, I like to dust my face with this colorless powder. It gives my face a matte look (which I like) and most importantly, helps control the shine.
- Cheeks: MAC Powder Blush I like a little rosiness on my cheeks. Not to look like a toy solider, but just enough to give your cheekbones some definition. I have been using the RAIZIN blush tone from MAC for forever.
- Eyes: NARS Single Eyeshadow When it comes to eye shadow, I have always used a neutral tone. I rarely explore vivid colors. NARS, YSL, and MAC are a few brands that I know have beautiful shades of colors for your eyes if you’re more of a risk taker than me. My favorite eye shadow palette is by NARS called LOLA LOLA.
- Eyes: LE VOLUME DE CHANEL I believe that your eyes are the gateway into your soul. If this true, it is imperative that you have the perfect mascara to accentuate your lashes. This mascara works wonders for me because I short thick eyelashes.
- Eyes: Bobbi Brown Long Wear Eye Pencil Although I don’t wear eyeliner often, when I do, this is my baby. This pencil glides on smoothly, washes off easily, and is true to its long wear title. It comes with the sharpener.
- Eyebrows: NYX Chocolate Skinny Brown Liner “Your eyebrows are the framework to your face” With that being said, unless you wear a bang all year-long, you must keep your eyebrows tamed, shaped, and flawless. I take pride in making sure my eyebrows are always on point. (even on bare face days) Unfortunately, I wasn’t blessed with thick, naturally groomed eyebrows so I have had to rely on NYX to be my lifesaver.
- Eyebrows: NYX Retractable Eyeliner This is my 2nd step for my eyebrows. The pencil is thicker so I use it as a filler. There are plenty of techniques out there to get awesome eyebrows, but this method works for me. Whichever method you choose, just make sure to stay consistent and keep them eyebrows flawless!
- Lips: NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil As with eye shadow, when it comes to lipstick, I normally keep it pretty neutral. I do believe every woman should have a sultry red lipstick. My favorite reds are NARS Lip Pencil in Mysterious Red and YSL Rouge Pur Couture The Mats #6. My suggestion is to find a shade that you love and can wear everyday, unless you are that risk taker and like to switch it up.
Bottom line, whether you are a natural, minimalist, or a full on makeup goddess, do what makes you feel good in the inside and out. This topic is to share the products I love and use when I want to “glam” it up. If you are contemplating making your first beauty purchases, there are hundreds of brands to experiment with and I hope you try some of my recommendations.
Please share your comments below…