I would say it started around 2000-2001 that my love for cosmetics began. A co-worker that I met (who turned into a dear friend of mine) first introduced me to world of makeup. Prior to 2000, I was a bare face, Carmex wearing young woman. I then graduated to foundation and mascara, my faves were MAC SPF 15 Matchmaster and Maybelline Great Lash Mascara. I still love a bare face, and I appreciate women who also embrace their natural beauty, but I enjoy playing with makeup. So we fast forward to present, the items above are my favorite brands of products and what I think are the must haves for your starter kit if you are considering diving into the world of makeup. Of course there are primers, moisturizers, and tints you can use before you apply your makeup, but this post is after you have done your pre application routine. So here is the break down of the Top 10 products I love and use, and why you should love them too! (From Top Left to Bottom)
- Face: Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24H with SPF 15 As I stated before, MAC used to be my foundation, but I noticed my complexion looked so red. I was told I have red undertones, and on top of that, I have oily skin. I found that this liquid foundation does blend well my natural complexion and they have a broad selection to match any skin tone.
- Face: Lancome Translucence Pressed Powder For those who do not like liquid foundation because it may feel too heavy on your skin, I keep a pressed powder handy. It helps me pat the shine away when that T zone starts getting oily.
- Face: DERMABLEND Loose Setting Powder After I have my face completed, I like to dust my face with this colorless powder. It gives my face a matte look (which I like) and most importantly, helps control the shine.
- Cheeks: MAC Powder Blush I like a little rosiness on my cheeks. Not to look like a toy solider, but just enough to give your cheekbones some definition. I have been using the RAIZIN blush tone from MAC for forever.
- Eyes: NARS Single Eyeshadow When it comes to eye shadow, I have always used a neutral tone. I rarely explore vivid colors. NARS, YSL, and MAC are a few brands that I know have beautiful shades of colors for your eyes if you’re more of a risk taker than me. My favorite eye shadow palette is by NARS called LOLA LOLA.
- Eyes: LE VOLUME DE CHANEL I believe that your eyes are the gateway into your soul. If this true, it is imperative that you have the perfect mascara to accentuate your lashes. This mascara works wonders for me because I short thick eyelashes.
- Eyes: Bobbi Brown Long Wear Eye Pencil Although I don’t wear eyeliner often, when I do, this is my baby. This pencil glides on smoothly, washes off easily, and is true to its long wear title. It comes with the sharpener.
- Eyebrows: NYX Chocolate Skinny Brown Liner “Your eyebrows are the framework to your face” With that being said, unless you wear a bang all year-long, you must keep your eyebrows tamed, shaped, and flawless. I take pride in making sure my eyebrows are always on point. (even on bare face days) Unfortunately, I wasn’t blessed with thick, naturally groomed eyebrows so I have had to rely on NYX to be my lifesaver.
- Eyebrows: NYX Retractable Eyeliner This is my 2nd step for my eyebrows. The pencil is thicker so I use it as a filler. There are plenty of techniques out there to get awesome eyebrows, but this method works for me. Whichever method you choose, just make sure to stay consistent and keep them eyebrows flawless!
- Lips: NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil As with eye shadow, when it comes to lipstick, I normally keep it pretty neutral. I do believe every woman should have a sultry red lipstick. My favorite reds are NARS Lip Pencil in Mysterious Red and YSL Rouge Pur Couture The Mats #6. My suggestion is to find a shade that you love and can wear everyday, unless you are that risk taker and like to switch it up.
Bottom line, whether you are a natural, minimalist, or a full on makeup goddess, do what makes you feel good in the inside and out. This topic is to share the products I love and use when I want to “glam” it up. If you are contemplating making your first beauty purchases, there are hundreds of brands to experiment with and I hope you try some of my recommendations.
What are some of your favorite or must have beauty products? Please share your comments below…