Sofia Vergara was once quoted saying, “If I walk outside without lipstick, I feel naked”. Nicki Minaj took it one step further and said, “I can’t see myself without pink lipstick. I can go without it for a couple days, but if there was no more pink lipstick in the world, I’d be useless”. Now, I do love some color on my lips from time to time, but it’s not my must have makeup product. Can you guess what my favorite makeup product is? I mentioned it in a previous blog (Pop Quiz) Give up? Ok the answer is the eyebrow pencil. So back to the lips. I think I have every variation a lipstick can come in, but my favorite type is a matte lipstick. The picture above are the variations I presently own. How about we break each one down and determine which are your favorite now or may soon become your favorite in the future?
When I worked part-time in retail, I took advantage of experimenting and purchasing designer brand beauty products because I could get them for dirt cheap. I do still purchase these designer name products, but only because I have grown to love some of them. If I don’t want to spend $40 on a tube of lipstick, NYX Extra Creamy Round Lipstick is my go to alternate brand. So let’s break down the variations of lip applicators we have pictured today. (Left to Right)
- Nars Velvet Matte Lipstick Pencil– If you are a lipstick pencil person, than this is one you will love. This lipstick pencil comes in either a satin or matte finish. Of course I am a matte lover so I naturally chose this option. Even though it is matte, your lips won’t feel dry. Just make sure you have your own sharpener or be prepared to buy one.
- Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture – This is a satin texture lipstick. It is very creamy and moisturizing. I love YSL beauty brands in general because of the packaging and the beautiful shades. This one will not disappoint.
- Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture -Vernis a Levres’ Glossy Stain– I went through a brief period where I was obsessed with the lipstick stains. Now, not so much. I haven’t tried any other brands, but this one seems to dry my lips out too quickly. It does work well over your base lipstick.
- Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture – The Mats– At last, another matte! The texture of this lipstick glides on smooth, and will give you a sleek finish. It also has a great wear life. At least six hours before a retouch needed. There is nothing like a rich, bold red matte lipstick (my opinion)
- Yves Saint Laurent Gloss Volupte Lip Gloss– Do you like the shimmer and shine? I use this YSL lip gloss when I want that shiny just drank some coconut oil look. This line has colors that go from cool to warm and can be worn standalone or over your favorite lipstick.
- Nivea Lip Butter – For those that just like a bare moist lip, this lip butter will definitely do the trick. I normally wear this on my no makeup days and when I am going to gym. A little goes a long way.
I am sure there are a few more types of lipstick variations, but I believe these are the main types we use. Depending on your mood, you may decide to wear a bold matte red if you are feeling sassy. Or you may be going to place where you might “bump” into your crush so you want make sure lips are glossy and shining from across the room. Whatever your preference is when it comes to your lips, unless you are single with no kids like me, no one wants to kiss dry chapped lips. Even if don’t have anyone to kiss at the present moment (have to put that in there) exfoliate and keep those lips ready.
What are your favorite types of lipstick applicators? Share your comments…